Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Audubon House Museum

The Audubon House Museum and Gardens was established in 1960 in Key West, Fl. Although John James Audubon never stayed in the house, he was a fequent visitor and very much admired by the orginal owner Captain John Hurling Geiger. As I toured this mid 1800's American Classical Revival home and listen to the stories of Audubons visits there. I was drawn to what was going on in the gardens.

A slight, elderly man was bringing in the most beautiful gems of the garden. This shy man was sharing his prized orchids with visitors of this museum. I could not wait to try my hand at photographing them. Doris and I had attended a 6:30 AM class of 10-tips for better vacation photos. I would have loved to have had a photo of the man who grew these beauties but he shyed away. He did tell me that he has over 1,000 different orchids in his collection. Can you image? Some of them had the most amazing smell. I would have loved to have had just one formy home. Enjoy a stroll through some of the most beautiful Gems of this Garden.





3 comments:

Big Hair Envy said...

Those flowers are too beautiful to be real!! I am in awe of the gentleman who grew them....I have a brown thumb:(

SO glad you are joining us for the Blogger Butt Smackdown!!! It's a lively group of ladies, and we are all here to support one another:)

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

What beautiful eye candy! It brings a little spring to our sub-freezing temps today. Oh, how I long for the warm temps of spring.

Judyann said...

Wow!! Chere, those are beautiful. Which lens did you use to take these shots? I just love orchids and used to have some when I lived in Hawaii. Thanks for posting them.